- CSS Guidelines
- !# for removing scroll-to-top on empty anchor link
- Photoshop Layer Filtering
- A few things I’ve done since July
Discovered CSS Guidelines via Twitter. Read through most of it, have to finish it up! I know I have to write better CSS — what I do is definitely not scalable or maintainable by others.
Hashbang for Removing Scroll-to-Top on an Anchor Link
I found this StackOverflow answer while working on the header for ‘Souls. It’s annoying when you have an empty link and it jumps to the top of the page. Using the “#!” as the href works because:
There’s nothing magic about the exclamation mark – it just makes a convenient fragment identifier because it’s noticeably different to a typical fragid and unlikely to ever match the
nameof an element on your page. Indeed, we could put almost anything after the hash; the only fragids that won’t suffice are the empty string, the word ‘top’, or strings that match
idattributes of elements on the page.
Layer Filtering in Adobe Photoshop
I’ve been using Photoshop forever and ever — I started on PS7, which I got in the seventh grade. I was still using PS7 up until about a year ago (I know, I know). So I was (and still am?) seriously out of date as far as Photoshop goes. There’s still a lot of newer stuff I’m learning. Imagine my delight when I discovered layer filtering.
In documents with a ton of layers and groups and crap, filtering through layer types to find what you need is way, way necessary. I don’t usually work with huge documents with so many layers, but I have been as of late, so this was a good thing to learn for sure…
Stuff I’ve Done
- PHP, HTML, CSS: At ‘Souls, we rolled a new header for the forum (phpBB with a lot of customization/modifications/etc.). It figures out whether a user is logged in or not, and displays different links accordingly, along with a couple other neat things (custom searches that allow the user to find all of their posts in a specific group of forums, or all of their posts period, etc.). (Yes, I also set everything on fire while rolling this to public. It was only aflame for about fifteen minutes, though~)
- CSS: Also at ‘Souls, I made — three skins? Two of them, someone else already started them, but I tweaked those two. The third is one I made, using Font Awesome to add some neat stuff to certain links, etc. I am super happy with it and will post a screenshot when it’s live!
- PHP, MySQL, HTML, CSS: Also-also at ‘Souls, I did a thing that pulls a list of all open threads (those needing replies, with only one participant) depending on the topic icon used. Got a bunch of help on that one, but I at least got it going.
- Photoshop, Sketches, Brain-thoughts: At work, I’ve been working on a lot more conceptual-type stuff and less web. Challenging but something different/new, too! I really, really, really want to roll the new website, though.